Position Title: Historic Educator/Birthday Party Facilitator
Location: Frying Pan Farm Park, 2709 West Ox Road, Herndon, VA 20171.
Hours: Part-time work, average 16-25 hours per week, dependent on park needs. At least one weekend day and 2 to 3 weekdays.
Salary: $12 to $15 per hour.
Overview: Learn and grow your knowledge of farming, rural community life and culture as you connect the park’s visitors to the historic treasures of Frying Pan Farm Park. We are a 135-acre park with equestrian facilities, 70 acres of undeveloped land with a nature trail, 20 historic buildings, and an educational farm. We help the public to bond and form a personal relationship with the park. This results in allowing them to develop a sense of place. Birthday party facilitators lead fun and educational 30-minute parties that feature our farm animals. Facilitators should be comfortable handling animals including chickens, rabbits, goats, and sheep.
- Teaching interactive and hands-on preshool-3rd grade school field trip programs, other farm and garden-based programs, evening programs, and summer camp support.
- Driving a tractor and wagon to deliver interpretive wagon rides to field trip participants and the general public.
- Facilitators should be comfortable handling animals including chickens, rabbits, goats, and sheep.
- Delivering programs for birthday party guests, handling animals, setting up and cleaning-up program spaces.
- Training will also be provided in carousel operation
- Delivering formal and informal interpretive programs.
- Providing support for special events and outreach programs during the week and on weekends.
- Opening, closing, and providing general care for the historic site.
- Party facilitators will also be required to attend tractor training to drive wagon rides for birthday parties.
- All applicants must be at least 18 years of age and have experience working with children in a group setting.
- Must have proven strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must be a strong team player and demonstrate initiative to complete tasks.
- Interest in working with children outdoors.
- All successful applicants must possess current first aid and CPR certifications.
- Experience in childhood development or interpretive program delivery.
- Experience working with children in a group setting.
- Strong interest in outdoor or agricultural education and/or cultural resource stewardship.
- Experience working with small farm animals and/or driving a tractor.
- Background in Park and Recreation, experience leading programs for elementary-age participants, pro-gram development and evaluation.
- Experience working in environmental or agricultural education
Note: This position may not exceed 900 hours per calendar year. Individuals in these positions are not eligible for benefits and are not eligible to earn leave or receive holiday pay.
To apply: Send your resume to [email protected]
Necessary Special Requirements:
- All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (two weeks after the last required dose) as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs may be subject to a weekly testing requirement. Vaccinated employees and employees with a medical or religious exemption will complete the attestation online on their first day of employment or shortly thereafter.
- The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background, Child Protective Ser-vices Registry, driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.
If you have any questions, please email [email protected] or visit us online.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.
Fairfax County Park Authority prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.