The Smithsonian Institution, National Air and Space Museum (NASM) seeks one coordinator for the Visitor Services volunteer program. The Visitor Services Coordinator works with the Visitor Services team to manage volunteers, to communicate with the public, and to support daily operations and activities at the Museum. Visitor Services Coordinators work at both National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC and the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia.
This position is located in the Visitor Services Division of the National Air and Space Museum (NASM), Smithsonian Institution (SI). The purpose of the position is to supervise and maintain a successful volunteer program. The incumbent serves as Visitor Services Coordinator, and is responsible for day-to-day management of Visitor Services programs, including health and safety, customer service, volunteer management, volunteer scheduling, tour and program scheduling, communication with the public, and collaboration with all NASM offices in addition to many SI offices. The incumbent upholds the Smithsonian, National Air and Space Museum’s philosophy, vision and core standards for visitor service, ensuring that the visitors’ “first and last impression” of their experience at the Museum is a positive one.
The Visitor Services Coordinator has the following major responsibilities:
- Plan, manage, and implement all elements of Visitor Services operations.
- Provide customer service for Museum visitors, staff, and volunteers.
- Recruit and hire a qualified and diverse group of volunteers.
- Support enrichment and recruitment activities for volunteers.
- Prepare and deliver training to new volunteers, and evaluate volunteers’ performance within the program.
- Provide direction and logistical management to a diverse group of people, establishing, implementing, and maintaining policies and procedures that ensure the smooth operation of the Visitor Services volunteer program.
- Maintain records of all volunteer activity, and provide administrative support to all NASM volunteers
Details and application instructions on the Museum's website.